Thursday, January 29, 2009

Post Biopsy: Stage 3 and Holding

I'm stage 3, which is good! The doctors use "stages" to categorize the differing degrees of my condition. The biopsy was a success. I do indeed have this thing called neuroblastoma. Apparently they can discern quite a bit by simply examining the tissue with the naked eye. They will continue to do analysis on the tissue and provide additional results over the next 7-10 days.

Interestingly, with all these tests and checkups, they almost seem to try and place me into stage 4 but my test results won't let them. This means my stage 3 is well-earned and stage 4 becomes more and more distant with each test. *HIGH FIVE* My bone marrow is clean, which is super-duper-mashed-potato good. They're also taking a detailed look at my bones for an extra-triple-check-re-check-confirmation of my stable condition but the tests won't be in till Friday.

I've also changed rooms again, I think... I'm still a tad groggy. There's less contraptions in this room, so I think that means I am out of the ICU. *whew* I think my family was a little scared by all the tubing, tape and hardware attached and inserted all over my body... but I preferred to think of myself as a fantastical cyborg in the making! They even attached a semi-permanent "port" near my neck and shoulders. It's actually more of a convenience than an annoyance. This way, they don't have to restick me every time I need a medication, fluid or super synthetic cyborg juice. Cyborg or no cyborg, being stuck with a needle is no splash'n'fun at the kiddie pool!

Friday is a big day for me, I'll be starting Keno. I didn't think I was old enough for Keno but I'm a trooper... a CYBORG trooper! Wait a minute.... ah, ok... it's not Keno, it's chemo which is short for chemotherapy. Chemo supposedly has some negative side-effects, and I heard one of them might be hair-loss. I'm not too worried about it because... how many cyborgs do YOU know with hair? Uh huh. Anyways, I'm not worried because I know this is the best/fastest way for me to get better, even if it hurts a little. But most of all, I know I am not alone.

So, when you come see me, try not to be too jealous of my varying levels of cyborgness.

4 comments:

  1. I am a the sister-in-law to Nicole Dale Hoffman and want you to know that you have a crew of prayer warriors in HOUSTON that are lifting your situation up to GOD. May his blessings be shown to you. Please keep posting any updates. Sending you and yours lots of Love, Allison Dale

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is great, the way you are writing this from your own little point of view. Good for you, William! You are a cutie pie and very tough. Be strong with the chemo. It will be hard, but you can do it. They have some good medicine to help you and your mommy and daddy will make sure to get it for you. You have NB angels watching over you. HOORAY FOR STAGE 3!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love you all so much! Just wanted you to know that we are thinking about you and praying constantly!!! We so wish there was something we can do - let us know...
    Love, Alan and Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine (Rachel McGuire) has worked with your mom and I just wanted to send my prayers and hugs to you and your family--you are a very brave little boy!

    ReplyDelete