Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Rollercoaster

Good news, bad news, good news, bad news.... up and down I go. I'm not tall enough to ride a roller coaster, unless Grandma buys 6-inch flip-flops like she did for Mommy at Six Flags, but I think I understand the sensation and its lure... also, I sort of have my own roller coaster. It's not always fun, like today, but everyone seems so thrilled to ride with me!

The latest roller coaster news is a bit of a dip. It feels deeper than it should because I was up so high from the latest news about maintaining Stage 3. This morning, my doctors re-categorized me as Stage 4, and I'm now high-risk as opposed to intermediate. My passengers seem to feel the news more than me, especially Daddy because he sits with me in the VERY back of the roller coaster. For those of you without 6-inch flip-flips to ride a roller coaster, the back of a roller coaster usually descends from a peak much more quickly than the front. This means Daddy experiences all the valleys of my roller coaster trek more than anyone else despite the fact all we want to do is get off the coaster and go for cotton candy, funnel cake, turkey leg, fried oreos.... maybe all of them? No no, he's a good Daddy. He'd frown, shake his head and say something like, "Those are bad for you. Now pick 3 of the 4 and don't tell Mommy." YUM!

So how'd my coaster get to this precipitous drop? *sigh* When the doctors originally started me on this chemo-thing they were expecting certain signs of its effectiveness but unfortunately those signs were either not prominent enough or non-existent. When they first started it, my Daddy thought the chemo looked like Tequila. Anyways, I guess they forgot the worm and now my chemo dosage and schedule have changed. I just hope they include the worm this time, or at least Jameson, Daddy knows I'm Irish.

I'm still a little hazy on the treatment and scheduling but the way I understand it....

My total treatment will be 9 months, this includes chemo and two bone marrow transfusions. I was worried about a bone marrow match but the doctors will use samples of my own bone marrow for the transfusions. I asked about running out of samples but apparently the stuff regenerates so no need to worry. Afterwards, they hope to remove this unwelcome tissue from my tummy.

*WHOA* Sorry, even though the coaster is on its way down we sometimes have lil' upswings. The old dosage of chemo is finally leaving my body and allowing me to recover. I am talking more which is nice... don't get me wrong, this "interweb" place is neat and all but I'm much more interactive and WAYYYY better looking in person.

HOWEVER.... I'm not quite as good looking as this other guy I saw recently. I couldn't see him at first with all the blankets and stuff, but I asked, "What's that?" and I was informed "that" was my brother, Reilly! I don't know much about my little brother; he is stubborn about eating (gets that from Mommy), he's smaller than me and I could totally take him, he gets to go home and he's doing quite well. *WHOA* Yeah, that was another upswing.

Up or down, I hope you continue riding with me... but you can't have my Daddy's seat.

7 comments:

  1. All of my thoughts and prayers are with you Will. I love rollercoasters but I really don't like this one. I am uber hopeful that you will be feeling better soon. I'm glad Reilly is doing well. I'm close by if you need me. Tell your mom and dad to call me anytime. I'll be there in a jiffy with some yucatan taco stand or fuzzy's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will continue to keep ya'll all in our thoughts and prayers daily. We are glad to hear the upswings and pray for fewer downswings. Love, The Pate Cousins - Suzie, Daryl, Bri and Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cousin Todd Lesley's Hubby loves rollercoasters too... and he is a TOUGH dude just like you Will. We are praying for you and know that you can't wait to get outta there and go play. Much love and prayer to you all

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am new to your rollercoaster story. You do not know me. The prayer chain has hit NAshville, TN and I will be on my knees for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a huge fan of roller coasters, but I am an even bigger fan of the power of prayer. I promise to keep praying for you and your family while you are riding this out through all the twists and turns. Houston, TX is thinking about you, William!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet strong young man!!! You don't know me, but I know your mommy from our Mom's group and I know how much she loves you! Congrats on your new baby brother! My family will be praying very hard for you and your family. Please always remember no matter how hard things may get, God is with you always!
    Doria Brown

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you get better soon. I am one of Miss Sander's students. You are in my prayers


    From Ethan P.

    ReplyDelete